Friday, September 21, 2007

What a Week!

Am down with sore throat, phlegm, cough, backache and feeling a bit feverish. I think I must have caught the flu bug from an event last week, whereby a number of participants were ill too. My colleagues, Barlyson and Uncle Banana are also down.

My immune system has been pretty low this week, as I had been running around fetching the kids here and there under the humid and hot weather. Yah, blame it on the weather. No wonder I can connect very well to picture of toilet rolls flying in the sky last week.

My husband had just started work this week and I am now in-charge of fetching the kids to and fro from school. Luckily, I picked up driving again last year when Gavin hurt his hand and could not drive. It’s a blessing in disguise, as he had no choice but to let me use his car…haha.

Driving is great! Firstly, no need to climb up the slope to campus each morning; and can also get to eat lunch other than the school’s canteen, which doesn’t even serve the basic food of chicken rice and/or fishball noodles! I’m okay with driving, except for parking lah, which I have improved from 3 empty parking lots, to 2 and now to 1 lot...hehe. And, please don’t ask me to park at any of the shopping centres in Orchard Road at the moment. And you know what? - driving comes with “responsibilities” – I mean errands and safety.

Every morning, I will have to fetch Joel to school and then have to wait with him for his form teacher to come. He’s got his mood swings at least once a week. In the afternoon, it’s time again to fetch Bryan from his primary school at Queenstown to the childcare centre at Ghim Moh, then grab a quick lunch. And I dread evening most. After fetching Joel first from Kent Ridge and picked Bryan up during the evening peak hours and only managed to reach home at around 7 pm. Thank goodness, Gavin helps to pick up dinner on his way back.

And the best is, I am very “lucky” to kanna whatever that driver fears about driving. The car battery went flat on the second day at the car park near Bryan school and I had to call upon AA to come and change battery and since it just happened at my hands, so I decided to pay for it. My husband thought it could last till Monday when he next service his car. But luckily, the car didn’t stall in the middle of the road. And on Wednesday, the ass of my car accidentally kissed the lip of another car at the car park, but twice lucky, God’s hands is upon me. The scratch on both our cars is erasable with a piece of wet tissue and the other owner is not around - PHEW! Must pray hard each day, man!

It’s not even passed 1 week of driving and I almost down and out physically, but then can’t raise my white flag of surrender…. Must reciprocate his efforts, so that he can work in peace and I also need to prove to him that he can leave the kids with me. That’s the life of a 2-income parents with young kids. Hope that didn’t put the parents-to-be off. It’s just part and parcel of life, which will mould us to be a stronger and better person. If not for my kids, I think I just continue to be the “small woman” or have the “damsel in distress” look.

As for now, have to just pray fervently to God and draw strength for him for another 2 months before Bryan’s school holidays start; safety and protection while driving; and lastly for time management.

Ah, now feeling better after blogging it, which can be so therapeutic. Hopefully, I can continue my writing in the months to come. And to be able to look back at the end of the year and to declare that I am an overcomer!

No comments: